Monday, August 9, 2010

Where do I go from here?

Do you ever feel... stuck?



In OCD, there's a problem with the feedback loop that tells us that we are no longer in danger, or that it's okay to move on.

People with "obsessive slowness" may take 20 minutes to walk through their front door.

I get stuck on tasks like writing an essay. Or an email. Or a blog post.

I don't know what to write about. I don't know how to word it. That's not good enough. Sentence by sentence, I recite and revise in my head what I want to say. Too much effort. I am getting sleepy. Time for a break.

I am stuck in the molasses swamp, waiting to draw the card that will get me unstuck. (I just came up with that one. Clever, eh? No? I don't care. I am tired.)

*Wait a minute, are you saying that if I struggle with writing essays, then I have OCD?* No. *But you are implying that you have OCD, right?* No. Many behaviors are best characterized as lying somewhere along a continuum. For any given behavior, most of us fall somewhere in the middle. So how do we decide what's pathological? Good question. Stay tuned for DSM-V.



Now what?

No comments:

Post a Comment